News Writing (Live Interview)
Contest Overview Contestants will write a news story based on a set of notes compiled from background information and a live interview. The contest will be two hours long. Students may use a dictionary and/or thesaurus. Students using computers must save their entries as PDFs and have them completely printed by the end of the contest.
• Lead includes the most important aspects of the story idea and answers the basic news questions. News-feature leads may be used when appropriate.
• Content reveals the writer’s ability to prioritize information.
• Story is void of editorializing.
• Appropriate direct and indirect quotes are used.
Writing Contests Guidelines
• Writers should bring pencils, pens, erasers, notebook paper, dictionary, thesaurus and stylebook. Students are allowed to bring computers. Some printers will be available, but students may wish to bring their own printer. Stories must be saved as PDFs and completely printed by the end of the contest.
• Style should be consistent throughout writing.