2019-2021 Officers

President
Alyssa Boehringer

McKinney High School
Years Advising:
Media Advised: Newspaper, Yearbook, Online News, Broadcast

BIO:

____________________________

President-Elect
Samantha Berry

Bridgeland High School, Houston
Years Advising: 9
Media Advised: Newspaper, Yearbook, Online News

BIO: Samantha Berry is the publications adviser at Bridgeland High School in Cypress. She grew up in West Texas and graduated from Texas Tech University with a degree in Agricultural Communications, and, no, she sadly cannot communicate with cows. She is a former district Teacher of the Year, TAJE Pathfinder and JEA Rising Star. For the past two years, she has served as the TAJE Secretary. She is generally over-caffeinated and loves a good podcast.

_______________________

Secretary
Kari Riemer

Hendrickson High School, Pflugerville
Years Advising: 31
Media Advised: Newspaper, Yearbook, Literary Magazine

BIO: My passion for journalism grew from my love of the written word and the belief that the press gives a voice to the voiceless. I have over 30 years in the public school classroom and have advised school publications for most of them. For the last decade, I have been the publications adviser at a large 6A high school in Pflugerville, Texas, a growing farm/tech suburb outside of Austin. Both the newspaper and yearbook I advise have been nationally recognized and I am a former recipient of the Edith Fox King Award for outstanding dedication to scholastic journalism. I am currently the regional representative for Region 7 of TAJE. I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 31 years. We have one daughter, Zoe, who is now a high school journalism teacher herself. We also have a dog named Lilo and cat named Meeko, whose only involvement in journalism is the comfort they give me at deadline time.

_______________________

State Director
Leah Waters

Heritage High School, Frisco
Years Advising: 8
Media Advised: Newspaper, Yearbook, Online News, News Magazine

BIO: Leah Waters advises the student media program at Heritage High School in Frisco, TX where students publish a 224-page yearbook and report for an online news site. Waters earned her master’s in journalism from the University of North Texas’ Mayborn School of Journalism and a bachelor’s in journalism from Angelo State University. Waters also advised a student media program at Creekview High School in Carrollton, TX prior to teaching in Frisco. Waters serves as the current TAJE state director.

_______________________

Treasurer
Rebecca Potter

Texas High School, Texarkana
Years Advising: 21

BIO: Rebecca Potter advises newspaper and yearbook at Texas High School in Texarkana. She has taught journalism for 21 years, and she has served as the TAJE treasurer for the past four years. Publications she has advised have received numerous state and national honors. She received the Edith Fox King Award, TAJE Trailblazer Award and the Max R. Haddick Teacher of the Year Award.