Contestants may be given a fact sheet and will conduct a live interview. Students will determine which side of the issue to take and write an editorial. Students may use a dictionary and/or thesaurus. Students using computers must save their entries as PDFs and have them
completely printed by the end of the contest.
• Lead states the writer’s viewpoint.
• Writer’s arguments are logically and convincingly presented.
• Opposing arguments are successfully refuted by the writer.
• Name-calling, insults and personal attacks are avoided.
Writing Contests Guidelines
• Writers should bring pencils, pens, erasers, notebook paper, dictionary, thesaurus and stylebook. Students are allowed to bring computers. Some printers will be available, but students may wish to bring their own printer. Stories must be saved as PDFs and completely printed by the end of the contest.
• Style should be consistent throughout writing.