Tabitha Houchens

Tabitha+Houchens

Name
Tabitha Houchens

Number of years teaching
10

Name(s) of media you advise
Dragon Yearbook

School Name & City
Redwater High School, Redwater

TAJE region
Region 8 – ESC 5 & 6

Most unusual item in/on your desk?
A cellphone jail that my students and I won at a Dave & Buster’s while on a yearbook trip

Favorite deadline snack?
Anything chocolate

Nicknames your students have given you?
T. Houch; Houchy

Superpower you’d want as a teacher?
The ability to manipulate time. There never seem to be enough hours in the day to get everything done.

Personal catchphrase or motto?
“Life is like a camera. Just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot.” — Unknown

What is the reason you love teaching journalism?
As a teenager, I was extremely shy. My camera was my security blanket and gave me the courage to do things I never thought I would be able to do. That eventually led me to my degree and my career as a reporter and photographer. As a sports editor, I dealt with a lot of young teenagers and finally realized that teaching journalism combined the best of both worlds. I get a real thrill out of watching the students try something new and the spark they get in their eyes when they truly understand something for the first time and the sense of security, having a purpose as a reporter or photographer, can give a shy student. I love having that place those kids who aren’t athletes or in band or theatre can go and feel as if they belong.

What is the most important lesson a student has ever taught you?
You are never too old to learn or have fun. My students are constantly teaching me new things and they keep me young. Even with deadlines looming, we manage to have a good time. They have taught me not to take myself or life too seriously. Something I think I was supposed to be teaching them. So lesson learned, the teacher can always become the student and vice versa.